DevOps Adoption in the Enterprise
While Scaling up the Business and working with remote teams with a different skillset and culture, I realize the need for processes and automation to improve productivity and collaboration. Hence, I figure out the need for DevOps Implementation Strategy and Deployment in Enterprises.
At the growth stage, with 3+ Years experience of delivering more than 55 projects in various domains for Startups and Enterprises including –
- Big Data
- Internet of Things
- Private Cloud and Hybrid Cloud
Problems Faced By Developers & Operations Team
- Ownership Issues during Deployment
- Fewer and Slow Releases
- Flat Access Control and Security
- Revision Control
- Scaling Up Resources For Application Stack
- Manual Processes Involved in Delivery Pipeline
- Isolated Declaration of Dependencies
- Single Configuration for Multiple Deployments
- Manual Testing Results Into Slower Release
- Shared Backing Services
Getting Started with DevOps Adoption
We Started transformation towards DevOps Strategy by adopting processes like Integration of DevOps Tools, Processes and Data into our work Culture. Parallelly, We Started adopting different Infrastructure architectures, Building Private Cloud, Docker, Apache Mesos, and Kubernetes.
Initial Steps To DevOps Adoption
- Enforcing Rules with the help of right tools – Agile board integration with SCM, Build Tool and Deployment Tool
- Collaboration Tools – Rocket Chat Integration with Taiga, GitLab, Jenkins
- Continuous Integration and Delivery
- Explicit Dependency Management
- Automated Testing
- Hands-On Training
We started by creating two separate teams from the existing pool of developers to adopt DevOps culture for new Projects in Big Data and Mobile Applications. After Initial hurdles in adaptation to Collaboration Tools and new delivery pipeline, results came out were extraordinary.
Results After Initial Phase
- Improved Performance & Productivity
- Less Manual Work
- Better Collaboration and Communication
- Developers Getting more Empowered and Involved in Delivery
- Proper Dependency and Configuration Management
Major Challenges To DevOps Adoption
- Cultural Shift in the way Things were being developed
- Changing Mindset for Adaptation.
- Support for Legacy Environments
- Integrating Security and Compliance on new Setup
- No support for Overlay Networks
Today most of the companies and organizations have already adopted DevOps, or they are on the verge of adopting them in their projects in the nearby future. But this adoption needs to be taken extra care of, it’s not like a trend is going, let’s follow it and implement it.
Start from scratch and look at your requirements. It should not be the case that you know the appropriate tool, and you start using it then and there. That approach is suitable for only short term use as it is not future proof. So it is better to gather as much information as possible and try integrating them in the DevOps environment.
DevOps Adoption should be revolving around the best practices that are associated with the DevOps. Best practices include test automation, continuous delivery, continuous deployments, configuration management and many more. These could help achieve efficiency.
Everything has its pros and cons, and DevOps is no different. Still, some companies state that they are not able to grab the full use of DevOps and its functionalities. It is better to engineer the useful DevOps into stages or sectors where you want to implement features of DevOps.
Here are some of the flaws which revolve around the companies and organizations.
No Proper Governance
- DevOps feature, namely “automation” helps to provide the reduction in time-to-market and this is only one feature that is taken into consideration there are many more.
- The issue arises when people start using it without any compliance or anything. This issue later shows up in the end product resulting in bad reviews or wrong product quality. This could lead up to product failure as well.
Using Tools without DevOps
- There are many cases where companies started using the tools of the DevOps rather than first trying to understand the concept of DevOps and trying to implement them in their own environment.
- A particular tool, for instance, like any configuration management tool needs to be fully understood and figure out how it could add be added into your project efficiently. It is not always the case that direct implementation would result in good.
No Monitoring and Logging
• DevOps provides many properties and out of those many monitoring and logging is one of them.
• But getting dependent upon it and start ignoring it, is not the best approach. The main focus of any company should be on the logging and monitoring system of there, and those systems should also be covering the DevOps throughout.
• This is the worst approach, and if you want to add DevOps into your company, then you should not be limited to only one team.
• Most of the enterprises often made one team to cover up the entire DevOps functionalities and its features. Practically this motive cannot be achieved, and everything needs to be distributed appropriately within proper teams.
Overcoming DevOps Implementation Challenges
In the above mentioned flaws, there was one thing common thing that was no proper planning and direct use of services. And most of the company’s projects go in vain because of Improper implementation of DevOps. Here are some of the ways and qualities that an organization and enterprise should adapt to.
• Work should not be limited to a particular team, and it should be distributed into sections or sectors and provided them with the necessary data they needed. Building up a strong backbone for your project.
• It would help if you had many teams which could be able to handle a particular section to provide an efficient result. And the most critical team which every company must attach to is the security team which looks after the DevOps.
Proper Monitoring and Logging
• One organization should take full ownership of its DevOps environment by saying that you should put close eyes on the behaviour of the environment of the DevOps so that you will be notified early if any problem could arise shortly.
• Logs and metrics provide data that would give a lifeline to a project which is on the verge of getting affected.
• There are multiple logging and monitoring tools available which could act as the best practice to the DevOps infrastructure you want to attain.
• You should maintain the environment which suits all the requirements and the compliance from the client-side and your side as well.
• No access should be given to the unauthorized person so that your data or your information will remain safe.
• And compliance should also be looked at very carefully as no deeds should be done which might hamper the quality or the reputation of the organization.
• Keep a proper check on personals having the authorization to use the resources.
Integration of the DevOps approach not only building the companies efficient method but also helping them to deliver their product to the customers in a short period. Quality Assurance which could be achieved with DevOps is not something that could be ignored. Broadly, there are so many approaches present which we cannot ignore. So when we talk about the latest trends in technology, there might be the case that if you don’t have a proper team than some members in the project knows about the new technology trends.
DevOps Open Source Tools Comparison
During Transformation Towards Agile & DevOps, DevOps needs a platform where we can define workflow with different Integrations.
Implementing DevOps Culture into your workflow requires using of specialized tools.
Overall Results of DevOps Adoption
Deployed Solution in Healthcare Startup
Then we implemented this approach in our HealthCare Startup RayCare where we had multiple workflows and Big Data loads. The Technology Stack for the startup was latest and cutting edge and tall enough to leverage Microservices.
- Stood up Development, Staging and Production Environment with almost Zero Parity.
- Jenkins Jobs for Android, iOS, Angular and Backend
- Highly Available and Distributed Cassandra Cluster
- Ansible Playbooks for turning up and down environment with one command.
- Using Docker for Development and Staging Environment.
Deployed Solution in Analytics Startup
Introducing DevOps practices in an Analytics Startup with well-experienced Database Administrators was altogether a great experience. The aim was to faster the data loading, database provisioning and isolating environments for a team working on three distinct location.
The main highlights of the implementation are:
- Bridging the gap between 3 different development location by using relevant tools to improve collaboration.
- Writing scripts to automate the process of Data Operations as much as possible.
- Application Delivery Pipeline of an app with multiple versions running for different clients at same time.
Oracle Partner for ServiceNow Integration and DevOps
The aim was to integrate complex Oracle Enterprise Manager (OEM) with Service Now, a modern IT Services Management solution for easing provisioning of Oracle-based resources through Service Now. The solution provided capable of:
- Automating Oracle DB Binaries Provisioning
- Running Chef Recipes from Oracle Enterprise Manager
- A Restful Service to trigger DB Provisioning Recipe
- Item listing in Service Now to trigger Restful Service on the successful transaction of an item.
- Admin approval process for infrastructure process.
Deployed Solution in WebRTC based Calling Platform
The company is entirely dedicated to free calling App for mobile iOS and Android platform like iOS, Android to the phone number with the facility to call all around the globe.The technologies used are VMware, Couchbase, PostgreSQL, CentOS 7, Zabbix and much more
Hardware: From OVH dedicated server
Virtualization: Using Vmware bare metal
All services: on VMware Virtual Machines
The system had more than 10 NodeJS Apps, Highly Available and Distributed CouchDB Cluster which was changed to MongoDB in later stages. We made the application delivery pipeline fully automated using Ansible and Jenkins. The infrastructure was also made mutable using Ansible to scale up and down according to load.
Deployed Solution For Microsoft Technology Stack in HealthCare Wellness
Migrating applications powered by .NET Ecosystem to DevOps powered application lifecycle pipeline is a challenging job. The application was deployed on a private cloud powered by OpenStack with the following features –
- OpenStack Images for .NET Ecosystem
- Jenkins Jobs for Continuous Integration
- Integration of OpenStack with Object Storage powered by Ceph
- Visual Studio Integration with popular DevOps Tools
Compressive Approach to DevOps Adoption
During Transformation Towards Agile & DevOps, we realized that DevOps needs a platform where we can define a workflow with different Integrations. DevOps Solution helps you Automate, Monitor, and Analyse Application Delivery with Continuous Container Delivery Pipeline which helps you getting more saving on the cloud. To learn more about DevOps culture we advise taking the following steps –