While Scaling up the Business and working with remote teams with a different skillset and culture, I realize the need for processes and automation to improve productivity and collaboration. Hence, I figure out the need for DevOps Implementation Strategy and Deployment in organizations.
At the growth stage, with 3+ Years experience of delivering more than 55 projects in various domains for Startups and Enterprises including –
- Big Data
- Internet of Things
- Private Cloud and Hybrid Cloud
Problems Faced By Developers & Operations Team
- Ownership Issues during Deployment
- Fewer and Slow Releases
- Flat Access Control and Security
- Revision Control
- Scaling Up Resources For Application Stack
- Manual Processes Involved in Delivery Pipeline
- Isolated Declaration of Dependencies
- Single Configuration for Multiple Deployments
- Manual Testing Results Into Slower Release
- Shared Backing Services
Getting Started with DevOps Adoption
We Started transformation towards DevOps Strategy by adopting processes like Integration of DevOps Tools, Processes and Data into our work Culture. Parallelly, We Started adopting different Infrastructure architectures, Building Private Cloud, Docker, Apache Mesos, and Kubernetes.
Initial Steps To Implement DevOps
- Enforcing Rules with the help of right tools – Agile board integration with SCM, Build Tool and Deployment Tool
- Collaboration Tools – Rocket Chat Integration with Taiga, GitLab, Jenkins
- Continuous Integration and Delivery
- Explicit Dependency Management
- Automated Testing
- Hands-On Training
We started by creating two separate teams from the existing pool of developers to adopt DevOps culture for new Projects in Big Data and Mobile Applications. After Initial hurdles in adaptation to Collaboration Tools and new delivery pipeline, results came out were extraordinary.
Results After Initial Phase
- Improved Performance & Productivity
- Less Manual Work
- Better Collaboration and Communication
- Developers Getting more Empowered and Involved in Delivery
- Proper Dependency and Configuration Management
Major Challenges To DevOps Adoption
- Cultural Shift in the way Things were being developed
- Changing Mindset for Adaptation.
- Support for Legacy Environments
- Integrating Security and Compliance on new Setup
- No support for Overlay Networks
DevOps Open Source Tools Comparison
During Transformation Towards Agile & DevOps, DevOps needs a platform where we can define workflow with different Integrations.
Implementing DevOps Culture into your workflow requires using of specialized tools.
Overall Results of DevOps Adoption
Deployed Solution in Healthcare Startup
Then we implemented this approach in our HealthCare Startup RayCare where we had multiple workflows and Big Data loads. The Technology Stack for the startup was latest and cutting edge and tall enough to leverage Microservices.
- Stood up Development, Staging and Production Environment with almost Zero Parity.
- Jenkins Jobs for Android, iOS, Angular and Backend
- Highly Available and Distributed Cassandra Cluster
- Ansible Playbooks for turning up and down environment with one command.
- Using Docker for Development and Staging Environment.
Deployed Solution in Analytics Startup
Introducing DevOps practices in an Analytics Startup with well-experienced Database Administrators was altogether a great experience. The aim was to faster the data loading, database provisioning and isolating environments for a team working on three distinct location.
The main highlights of the implementation are:
- Bridging the gap between 3 different development location by using relevant tools to improve collaboration.
- Writing scripts to automate the process of Data Operations as much as possible.
- Application Delivery Pipeline of an app with multiple versions running for different clients at same time.
Oracle Partner for ServiceNow Integration and DevOps
The aim was to integrate complex Oracle Enterprise Manager (OEM) with Service Now, a modern IT Services Management solution for easing provisioning of Oracle-based resources through Service Now. The solution provided capable of:
- Automating Oracle DB Binaries Provisioning
- Running Chef Recipes from Oracle Enterprise Manager
- A Restful Service to trigger DB Provisioning Recipe
- Item listing in Service Now to trigger Restful Service on the successful transaction of an item.
- Admin approval process for infrastructure process.
Deployed Solution in WebRTC based Calling Platform
The company is entirely dedicated to free calling App for mobile iOS and Android platform like iOS, Android to the phone number with the facility to call all around the globe.The technologies used are VMware, Couchbase, PostgreSQL, CentOS 7, Zabbix and much more
Hardware: From OVH dedicated server
Virtualization: Using Vmware bare metal
All services: on VMware Virtual Machines
The system had more than 10 NodeJS Apps, Highly Available and Distributed CouchDB Cluster which was changed to MongoDB in later stages. We made the application delivery pipeline fully automated using Ansible and Jenkins. The infrastructure was also made mutable using Ansible to scale up and down according to load.
Deployed Solution For Microsoft Technology Stack in HealthCare Wellness
Migrating applications powered by .NET Ecosystem to DevOps powered application lifecycle pipeline is a challenging job. The application was deployed on a private cloud powered by OpenStack with the following features –
- OpenStack Images for .NET Ecosystem
- Jenkins Jobs for Continuous Integration
- Integration of OpenStack with Object Storage powered by Ceph
- Visual Studio Integration with popular DevOps Tools
During Transformation Towards Agile & DevOps, we realized that DevOps needs a platform where we can define a workflow with different Integrations. DevOps Solution helps you Automate, Monitor, and Analyse Application Delivery with Continuous Container Delivery Pipeline which helps you getting more saving on the cloud. Let’s learn in-depth about it:
How useful was this post?