What is User Acceptance Testing?
It is a process to check that system accepts requirements of a user or not. It's performed at a time when the system used by actual users. User acceptance testing comes after – Unit Testing—>Integration Testing—>System Testing—->Acceptance Testing in the process of testing.
User Acceptance Testing process related to another analogy such as to manufacture pens –
While production of a ballpoint pen, the cap, the body, the tail, the clip, the ink cartridge, with the help of things mentioned above a full ballpoint pen manufactured. After that single pen produced with a combination of every single item. Each component which specified above tested, to ensure that each component that will make the pen in a working condition. When a complete pen integrated, System Testing performed. Once a System Testing completed Acceptance testing performed to confirm that each ball pen is in working condition and ready to use for customers.
Types of User Acceptance Testing (UAT)
It is the type of testing, executed to identify all possible issues/bugs before releasing a product to every data users or public. It simulates real users by using Black Box and White Box testing techniques. The primary function is to carry out tasks executed by a typical user. Alpha testing carried out in a developed environment or in a lab environment where a product developed and the user of a product are internal employees of an organization.
It is the type of testing in which users of software or application are real users. In this application is tested in a real environment and considered as a form of an external User Acceptance testing. Beta version of a software released to a limited number of a user when tested in a Real-Time environment with the help of real users, to obtain feedback on product quality. Beta testing reduces failures, risks and provides increased quality of a product through customer validation. It is a final test before shipping a product to the customers. In this type of testing, getting direct feedback from users is a significant benefit. It is required to test a product finally in a Real-Time environment.
Parameters in an Acceptance Testing
Some parameters mentioned following that should be available in an Acceptance Testing report –
- Report Identifier
- Summary of Results
- Summary of a To-do list
- Approval decision
Why User Acceptance Testing Matters?
Once a software goes through a Unit, Integration and System testing after that Acceptance testing required.
Develops an application or write code by requirement documents.
There can be a condition that software developed by going through an SRS document is not according to the client, what client wants is missing in a software. The reason can be behind this that requirement changes during a project may not be communicated effectively.
Once a System Testing completed, it is a type of testing demanded by the customer.
It is demanded by the customer to get satisfied with all the functionality of the system that a system is working according to a requirement or not.
How to Adopt User Acceptance Testing?
The Criteria required to be specified for a User Acceptance Testing –
- Business Requirements must be available.
- Application code for the functionality of an application developed according to requirement.
- It is required that Unit Testing, Integration Testing and System Testing completed, before going to adopt User Acceptance Testing.
Before adopting UAT following conditions should be fulfilled –
- The only Cosmetic error should be acceptable before User Acceptance testing(UAT).
- Regression Testing should be executed successfully without any significant defects.
- If there are any reported defects, then they should be fixed and tested before UAT.
- UAT environment should be ready.
- They should be permitted from a System Testing in the team in Sign Off mail or in any other written format that system is ready for a UAT Execution.
Benefits of User Acceptance Testing (UAT)
- If internal User Acceptance Testing executed before delivery to the customer than it ensures that the system is working according to requirements and all the functions are correctly defined.
- It satisfies with an end product.
- It helps to identify that end product works according to expectations.
- To get end product delivered without any bug.
- To get end product delivered in a proper working condition to a user.
- To get satisfied with all the functionalities that an end product should possess.
How Does User Acceptance Testing Works?
UAT executed by users of a system or a system. It is a type of testing that mainly happens at a client location referred to as Beta testing. Once a System or application is ready for UAT testing then following tasks are required to be performed –
- Analysis of Business Requirements.
- Creation of UAT test plan.
- Identify Test Scenarios.
- Create UAT Test Cases.
- Preparation of Test Data(Production like data).
- Run the Test cases.
- Record Results.
- Confirm Business objectives.
- Analysis of Business requirements.
Best Practises of User Acceptance Testing
Following are some of best practices that help to make UAT success –
- Preparation of UAT plan early in the project life cycle.
- Prepare checklists before the UAT starts.
- Conduct Pre-UAT session during system testing phase.
- Set an expectation and define the scope of UAT clearly.
- Test a system or an application with a real-world scenario and data.
- Start thinking as an unknown user while testing the system.
- Perform Usability Testing.
- Feedback session and meetings conducted before moving to a production.
User Acceptance Testing Tools
There are a large number of testing tools in the market used to do User Acceptance Testing, some of them mentioned below –
Fitness Tool – It is a Java tool used as a testing engine. It helps to create tests and record all there results for a test in a table. Users of the tool enter formatted input and tests created automatically. Then tests executed, and output returned to the user.
Watir – It is a toolkit to automate browser-based tests during a process of a User Acceptance testing. Ruby is a programming language used for inter-process communication between Ruby and Internet Explorer.