Thanks for submitting the form.
Introduction to Big Data Testing Strategy
There are several areas in it, where its testing strategy is required. There are various types of testing in Big Data projects such as Database testing, Infrastructure, and Performance Testing, and Functional testing. It defined as a large volume of data structured or unstructured. Data may exist in any format like flat files, images, videos, etc.
Its primary characteristics are three V's - Volume, Velocity, and Variety where volume represents the size of the data collected from various sources like sensors, transactions, velocity described as the speed (handle and process rates) and variety represents the formats of data. Learn more about Continuous Load Testing in this insight. The primary example of it is E-commerce sites such as Amazon, Flipkart, Snapdeal and any other E-commerce site which have millions of visitors and products.
There are various major challenges that come into the way while dealing with it which need to be taken care of with Agility. Click to explore about, Top 6 Big Data Challenges and Solutions to Overcome
How does this Strategy Work?
There are various steps involved in working strategy of Big Data Testing:
Data Ingestion TestingIn this, data collected from multiple sources such as CSV, sensors, logs, social media, etc. and further, store it into HDFS. In this testing, the primary motive is to verify that the data adequately extracted and correctly loaded into HDFS or not. Tester has to ensure that the data properly ingests according to the defined schema and also have to verify that there is no data corruption. The tester validates the correctness of data by taking some little sample source data, and after ingestion, compares both source data and ingested data with each other. And further, data loaded into HDFS into desired locations. Tools - Apache Zookeeper, Kafka, Sqoop, Flume
Data Processing TestingIn this type of testing, the primary focus is on aggregated data. Whenever the ingested data processes, validate whether the business logic is implemented correctly or not. And further, validate it by comparing the output files with input files. Tools - Hadoop, Hive, Pig, Oozie
Data Storage TestingThe output stored in HDFS or any other warehouse. The tester verifies the output data correctly loaded into the warehouse by comparing the output data with the warehouse data. Tools - HDFS, HBase
Data Migration TestingMajorly, the need for Data Migration is only when an application moved to a different server or if there is any technology change. So basically data migration is a process where the entire data of the user migrated from the old system to the new system. Data Migration testing is a process of migration from the old system to the new system with minimal downtime, with no data loss. For smooth migration (elimination defects), it is essential to carry out Data Migration testing. There are different phases of migration test -
- Pre-Migration Testing - In this phase, the scope of the data sets, what data included and excluded. Many tables, count of data and records are noted down.
- Migration Testing - This is the actual migration of the application. In this phase, all the hardware and software configurations checked adequately according to the new system. Moreover, verifies the connectivity between all the components of the application.
- Post_Migration Testing - In this phase, check whether all the data migrated or not in the new application, is there any data loss or not. Any functionality changed or not.
Interested in deploying or migrating an existing data center? See how to perform Data Center Migration
Performance Testing OverviewAll the applications involve the processing of significant data in a very short interval of time due to which there is a requirement of vast computing resources. And for such type of projects, architecture also plays an important role here. Any architecture issue can lead to performance bottlenecks in the process. So it is necessary to use Performance Testing to avoid bottlenecks. Following are some points on which Performance Testing majorly focused:
- Data loading and Throughput - In this area, the rate at which the data consumed from different sources and the rate at which the data created in the data store observed.
Data Processing Speed
- Sub-System Performance - In this, the performance of the individual components tested which are the part of the overall application. Sometimes it is necessary to identify the bottlenecks.
- Functional Testing / Integration Testing
How to adopt it?
Steps to adopt its testing strategies are listed below:
- Implement Live integration - Live integration is important as data comes from different sources. Perform End-to-End Testing.
- Data Validation - It involves validation of data into Hadoop Distributed File System. It includes the comparison of source data with the added data.
- Process Validation - After comparison, process validation involves Mapreduce validation, Business Logic validation, Data Aggregation and Segregation, checks key-value pair generation.
- Output Validation - It involves the elimination of data corruption, successful data loading, maintenance of data integrity, comparing HDFS data with target data.
What are the top 5 5enefits?
Top 5 benefits of Big Data Testing are:
- Data Validation Testing
- Improved Business Decisions
- Minimizes losses and increases revenues
- Quality Cost
- Improved market targeting and Strategizing
Why is it important?It plays a vital role in its Systems. If its systems not appropriately tested, then it will affect business, and it will also become tough to understand the error, cause of the failure and where it occurs. Due to which finding the solution for the problem also becomes difficult. If its Testing performed correctly, then it will prevent the wastage of resources in the future.
The revolution in Big Data is starting to transform how companies organize, operate, manage talent, and create value. Source- Big Data
What are the best practices?
The below mentioned are the best practices of its Testing:
- Testing based on requirements
- Prioritize the fixing of bugs
- Stay connected with the context
- To save time, automate it
- Test objective should be clear
- Technical skills
What are the bestt tools?There are various Big Data Testing tools/components -
- HDFS (Hadoop Distributed File System)