What is Data Validation Testing?
Data Validation testing is a process that allows the user to check that the provided data is valid or complete. Data Accuracy Testing is responsible for validating data and databases successfully through any needed data transformations without loss. It also verifies that the database stays with specific and incorrect data properly.
In simple words, it is a part of Database and Data Quality Testing, in which the system validates and checks whether the entered data is valid or not according to the provided business conditions.
Here are some of the types of data validation Testing:
1. Data Type Check
2. Code Check
3. Range Check
4. Format Check
Unit testing is a software development process in which the smallest testable parts of an application, called units, are individually scrutinized for proper operation.
How does data validation testing Work?
The data Validation process consists of four significant steps.
1. Detail Plan
It is the most critical step to create the proper roadmap for it. It deals with the overall expectation: if there is an issue in source data, how do we resolve it? It deals with defining the number of iterations required during it.
2. Validate the Database
This ensures all applicable data is present from source to sink. This step determines the number of records, data size, and source and target comparison based on the data field.
3. Validate Data Formatting
The main focus is that the target system clearly understands the data; the end-users should know whether it meets the business expectations.
Before testing on a large set of data, it is necessary to do sampling. It is essential to try a small amount of data and check if the sample data meets the business requirement; if yes, then only proceed with a large set of data. It will also decrease the error rate for data and increase the quality and accuracy of the data.
Test automation refers to the practice of using software tools and scripts to automate the execution of tests in software development and quality assurance processes.
What are the benefits of data validation testing?Data Validation testing ensures that the data collected is accurate, qualitative, and healthy. Is the collected data from different resources meet the business requirement or not? Below are several benefits of Data Validation testing -
- Business requirement - It helps an individual ensure that the data collected from different sources, whether structured or unstructured, meets the Business requirement.
- Data Accuracy - In the future, the volume of data will increase, and most of the data will probably be unstructured. It's impossible to imagine analyzing this amount of data. Before mining, it is necessary to convert this data into a structured format. So, dealing with the correct data that meets business requirements is better.
- Better Decision Making
- Better Strategy and Enhanced Market Goals
- Increased Profits and Reduced Loss - If the data is accurate and correctly analyzed, there will be less loss; on the other hand, profit will increase.
Why data validation testing is essential?Regarding Big Data, it is one of the most critical components of data collection. Testing matters because it helps an individual ensure that the data is not corrupted and is responsible for checking whether the provided data is accurate. It also helps verify whether the information provided is validated against the business requirement. The initial data is fed into the Hadoop Distributed File System (HDFS) and validated.
How do we adopt data validation testing?
There are various approaches and techniques to accomplish Data Validation testing.
1. Data Accuracy testing to ensure that the provided data is correct.
2. Data Completeness testing to check whether the data is complete.
3. To verify that the provided data goes successfully through transformations or not by Data Transformation Testing.
Research in-depth about data transformation.
4. Data Quality testing to handle insufficient data.
5. Database comparison testing to compare the source DB and target DB.
7. Data warehouse testing.
Contract testing is a methodology for ensuring that two separate systems (such as two microservices) are compatible and can communicate with one other.
What are the best practices for data validation testing?1. It is highly recommended to analyze the data to understand the requirement, which is a need for business purposes.
2. Handle insufficient data correctly.
3. Use the particular tool that fits perfectly between source and target.
4. First, test on sample data instead of whole, complete data. This process will save time as well as resources.
5. Compare the output result with the expected.
What are the best tools for data validation testing?Various Data Validation Testing tools are available in the market for data validation. Some of them are given below -
- Datagaps ETL Validator
- Data-Centric Testing