What is Regression Testing?
Regression Testing is a process to make changes to an older program and also ensure that the old program still working even after making changes to a program. It is a normal part of software development in larger companies, performed by code specialists. Before the release of a new version of a software product, old test cases run against a new version to make sure that old capabilities are still working. To explore other testings, give a read to this blog.
Regression Testing Techniques
It is one of the methods of this Testing in which all tests in an existing test bucket or suite re-executed. It is costly as it requires enormous time as well as resources.
Regression Test Selection
Instead of re-executing an entire test suite, it is better to select part of the test suite to run –
Test chosen cases categorized as
- Reusable Test cases
- Obsolete Test cases
Reusable Test cases used in succeeding Regression cycles. Obsolete Test cases not used in succeeding cycles.
Prioritization of Test cases
To prioritize test cases depending on a business impact, critical and frequency used functionalists. Selection of test cases based on priority will significantly reduce the regression test suite.
How does Regression Testing Work?
This testing is basically done manually. However as application development takes time, more and more functionality keeps increasing the scope of regression, therefore this testing is executed in an automated way.
While preparing a test suite for regression, consider the following –
- Automate all the test cases of a test suite.
- Update the regression suite whenever required like if any new defect which not covered in a test case found, update test case for that issue in a test suite. Perform testing for a bug and uncover next time.
- Execute regression test cases, whenever changes made in code, perform bug fixing, new functionality added and also an enhancement to existing functionality done.
- Create a test execution report which includes pass/fails status of an executed test cases.
Benefits of Regression Testing
- Change in requirements and code modified according to the requirement.
- New feature added to the software.
- Defect fixing.
- Fix the Performance issues.
Why Regression Testing Matters?
New Functionality – It enables compatibility with old and new code whenever new functionality is added.
Functionality Revision – It revises the existing functionality and checks whether the feature edited or removed without causing any damage to the functionality.
Integration – It ensures flawless integration with another product.
Bug Fixing – Bug fixing requires changing the source code done by Regression Testing.
Improved Quality – It improves the quality of the product for high-quality Assurance check.
How to Adopt Regression Testing?
To adopt or work on this testing, the following situations needed to be considered –
- Analyze changes made to the software.
- Analyze and determine what modules /parts of software might be impacted.
- Take a look at a test or go through a test case and determine to perform a Full, Partial or Unit Regression test.
- Schedule a time to test.
Best Practises of Regression Testing
To do a this testing select test cases in the best way. Best Practises for Regression testing are as follows –
- Test cases which have frequent defects.
- Functionalities that are more visible to the users.
- Test cases that verify deep /core features of a product.
- Test cases for functionalities which undergo more and recent changes.
- All Integration Test cases.
- All complex test cases.
- Boundary Value test cases.
- A sample of successful test cases.
- A sample of failed test cases.
Regression Testing Tools
To do it manually leads to wastage of time and cost. To save time and cost, automated way of testing adopted. For this, some tools are mentioned as follows –
Selenium – It is an open source tool used for automating web applications. Selenium also used for browser-based Regression Testing.
Quick Test Professional – HP QuickTest Professional is automated software designed to automate functional and regression test cases. It makes use of Vb Script language for automation.
Concluding Regression Testing
It is one of the most critical aspects of testing as it helps to deliver a quality product providing ensure that change in code whether it’s small or large should not affect the existing or old functionality. A large number of available automated tools help in the automation of a regression best test cases. A tool should have the ability to update a test suite, as Regression test suite needs to be updated frequently. You can also explore more about Functional Testing in this insight.
How useful was this post?