IoT based Smart Farming
IoT Smart technology enables new digital agriculture.
Today technology has become a necessity to meet current challenges and several sectors are using the latest technologies to automate their tasks. Smart agriculture, based on Internet of Things (IoT) technologies, is envisioned to enable producers and farmers to reduce waste and improve productivity by optimizing the usage of fertilizers to boost the efficiency of plants. IoT based Smart Farming gives better control to the farmers for their livestock, growing crops, cutting costs, and resources.
The world’s total population touched 6.60 billion in 2000 but is projected to grow to 9.32 billion by 2050. Hence, it is necessary to increase the yield on the limited farmland.
IoT smart farming is a high-tech system to grow crop cleanly and sustainably for the masses. It is the application of modern Information and Communication Technologies in agriculture.
IoT Applications in Agriculture
In IoT based smart agriculture, a system is formed to monitor the farmland with the help of sensors, which senses components like temperature, light, humidity, soil moisture, etc. Then, automate the irrigation system and allow farmers to monitor their field conditions from anywhere through IoT Analytics Platform.
To make the agricultural process even smarter and accurate, precision agriculture is used. This makes agricultural practice more controlled and precise in terms of raising livestock and farming. IoT based Smart Farming plays a vital role when it comes to the use of IT and other elements like sensors, agricultural drones, autonomous vehicles, control systems, automated hardware, robotics, variable speed technology, and others.
Smart Farming: The impact of IoT on Agriculture
- Automatic adjustment of farming equipment made possible by linking information like crops/weather and equipment to auto-adjust temperature, humidity, etc.
- In large farmland, IoT equipped drone helps to receive the current state of crops and send the live pictures of farmland.
- Analyzing farmland from the land using IoT based Smart Farming Solutions you will know the current situation of fields and crops in.
According to studies:
- 86% of the studied farmers use some kind of “precision farming”.
- 95% acknowledged that “precision farming” is very helpful to use.
- 70% plan to expand their usage of “precision farming technologies”.
Business Challenges for Building the Internet of Things Platform
- A unified solution which can be integrated with different types of IoT devices.
- The most common challenge for the Internet of Things in agriculture is connectivity. Every area doesn’t have proper internet connectivity.
- The second most common challenge for IoT based Smart Farming is the lack of awareness among consumers.
- Due to various service providers, it becomes really difficult to maintain interoperability between different IoT systems.
- A scalable solution that can be integrated with thousands of IoT devices for large farms.
Solutions for Building IoT based Smart Farming
Smart Farming has enabled farmers to reduce waste and enhance productivity with the help of sensors (light, humidity, temperature, soil moisture, etc.) and automation of irrigation systems. Further with the help of these sensors, farmers can monitor the field conditions from anywhere. IIoT based Smart Farming is highly efficient when compared with the conventional approach.
The applications of IoT-based Agriculture solutions not only targets conventional, large farminWithg operations, but could also be new levers to uplift other growing or common trends in agricultural like organic farming, family farming (complex or small spaces, particular cattle and/or cultures, preservation of specific or high-quality varieties, etc.), and enhance highly transparent Farming.