DevOps on Google Cloud Platform Benefits and Tools
What is DevOps and GCP?
DevOps (development and operations) is a methodology or an operating model that establishes an Agile relationship between growth and IT operations. The primary goal of DevOps is to automate the processes between software development and IT teams, so DevOps can build, test, and release software faster.
Google Cloud offers a vast number of services basically, Google Cloud Platform (GCP) is the collection of Google's computing resources and other resources made available via mean of services. Here other resources' services may include Google's Storage and Databases, Big Data, Machine Learning, networking and many more.
Apart from Google's computing resources, GCP supports a lot of DevOps tools which makes the DevOps process more speedy, builds and delivers the products more reliably to the users.
How DevOps on GCP Works?
There are many tools available on GCP which can help with DevOps in following -
There is also GCP Stackdriver used for Critical Monitoring. GCP supports DevOps efforts by providing services to build, store and deploy applications.
DevOps features accessible in GCP -
- Continuous Integration
- Continuous Delivery with Chef
Most of the organization employ a DevOps model and technology to demonstrate that integrates with the existing development, testing, deployment, and operations process.
Why DevOps on GCP Matters?
- Get Started Fast - In GCP account, there are loT Services on GCP ready to use, there's no need to set up or software to install.
- Fully Managed Services - These services provides advantages of GCP resources. No need to worry about settings or installing software or operating infrastructure ourselves.
- Built for Scale - Manages a single instance, scales up to thousands of instances using GCP services. These services make more flexible compute resources by directly provisioning, configuration and scaling.
- Programmable - Use each service via the GCP CLI or through API's model, provision GCP resources and all GCP infrastructure using declarative GCP Cloud formation.
- Automation - GCP uses automation to build application faster and more efficiently. Using GCP services, automate task or process such as deployment, development & test workflow manually and configuration.
- Secure - GCP Identity and Access Management(IAM) to set user permission and policies. This is used for access on particular services of GCP resources and how user access those services.
Benefits of DevOps on GCP
- Rapid Delivery
- Improved Collaboration
How to Adopt DevOps on GCP?
Software Release Workflow - It is a GCP code pipeline. GCP code pipeline is a Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery service for fast and reliable application and infrastructure updates. Core pipeline builds, tests and deploy code every time there on the system for changes and based on the release process models defined. This enables to rapidly and reliably deliver features and updates.
Build & Test Code - It is GCP code build. Build code and test code. GCP code build is a fully managed build services that compile the sources codes required, and then it runs, and it's time to tests and produces software packages that are ready to deploy. With the help of the Codebuild, no need of provision, manage and scale build servers. It amounts continuous and processes multiple builds concurrently, hence builds are not left for waiting in a queue.
Deployment Automation - It is GCP code deploy to automate code deployments to any of the instance, including Google EC2 instances and On-premises servers. It's a deployment in GCP code deploy which makes it easier to rapidly new release with new features, and avoids downtime during application deployment and handles the complexity of updating application.
Unified CI/CD Projects - It is GCP codestar used for CI/CD projects. GCP codestar helps to quickly develop, build and deploy the application on the dashboard of GCP. GCP codestar provides a specified user interface, to manage your software development activities in one place efficiently. With GCP code star set up entire Continuous Delivery toolchain in minutes, to start releasing code faster.
Build & deploy Microservices architecture using Containers and Serverless Computing - Google Elastic container service is a highly scalable, high-performance Container Management services that support Docker containers and allows to run application efficiently on a managed account of Google flexible container services instances.
Provision, configure and manage GCP Infrastructure - It is a GCP Cloud formation for the developers and systems administrators to create and maintain a collection of the all related GCP resources, and also do provisioning, and it also does update them in an orderly and predictable fashion.
- Configuration Management.
- Policy as Code.
- Run and Manage Web Apps.
- Private Git Hosting.
- DevOps use Services of GCP as per the requirement of Project.
- Code Build.
- Code Deploy.
Best Practises of DevOps on GCP
- Continuous Integration - Continuous Integration(CI) is a software development practice to regularly merge code changes into a repository.
- Continuous Delivery - Continuous Delivery(CD) is a software development to change code automatically, build, test and prepare to release.
- Microservices - It is designed to approach to make a single application as a set of small services. Every service runs in its process and communication with all other services.
- Infrastructure as a Code(IaC) - It is a practice in which Infrastructure is provisioned and managed using code and software development such as Version Control and Continuous Integration.
- Monitoring & Logging - This is used for monitoring the running application on the cluster of Kubernetes or on GCP platform having Cloud Watch.
- Communication and Collaboration - By increasing this in the organization is one of the key cultural aspects of DevOps.