Introduction to Data Observability
Two Teams, i.e., DevOps and Data Engineering, visualize the problems by setting up the metrics first and then defining the role of the metrics to monitor. These days AI teams and Business owners predict the plan and enhance the solutions based on what observations data has made. To see and let the problem pass is not Data Observability. They understand the root causes and steps to fix and define Data Observability.
So, Data Observability helps ensure that any downstream platforms for end-users, such as Data Analysts work reliably and efficiently. For this instance, we can consider the Data analytics platform as the end-user product.
Click to explore What is Data Observability?
What is Data Observability?
Data Observability can be understood as:
- Developers can investigate the problem independently without any stress to deploy the code to regenerate the problem.
- Real-Time metrics help the teams to share information quickly.
- Businesses get more confident in product development and marketing.
Here, data observability should not be considered monitoring because the fixes must be applied with observed issues that should not break the running pipelines. These pipelines can either be downstream or upstream.
Why do we need Data Observability?
Data and analytics teams would be flying blind if they didn't have insight into data pipelines and infrastructures, i.e., they wouldn't fully comprehend the pipeline's health or what was happening between data inputs and outputs. The inability to grasp what's going on across the data lifecycle has several drawbacks for data teams and organizations.
Organizations' data teams grow in size and specialization as they become more data-driven. Complex data pipelines and systems are more prone to break in such settings due to a lack of coordination, miscommunication, or concurrent changes made by team members. Data engineers don't always get to work on revenue-generating tasks because they're continuously resolving one data or pipeline issue or attempting to figure out why a business dashboard looks out of whack. I understand that this can be a pain in the neck at times.
Data Observability Platforms For Monitoring Data Quality
A data observability platform assists organizations in detecting, triaging, and resolving real-time data issues by utilizing telemetry data such as logs, metrics, and traces. Beyond monitoring, observability enables organizations to improve security by tracking data movement across disparate applications, servers, and tools.
A data observability platform is a system that enables organizations to collect, analyze, and visualize data from various sources in order to gain insights into their systems' performance and health. This platform can be used to monitor and troubleshoot problems in real time, as well as analyze historical data to identify trends and patterns. Log files, metrics, traces, and events are examples of data sources that can be integrated into a data observability platform. Dashboards, alerts, and search and query capabilities are all common features of data observability platforms.
How does Data Observability help enterprises?
It is mentioned below how data observability increases scalability and realizes cost-effectiveness:
Here are some examples of how data observability may aid organizations in scaling data innovation by removing friction points in design, development, and deployment.
- Design-to-Cost: Evaluate the costs of various architectures at scale. Avoid or refactor solutions that are excessively expensive to save time and money.
- Data Democracy: You can scale data usage and accelerate development by using self-service data discovery to save time collecting data for new solutions.
- Configuration recommendations, simulation, and bottleneck analysis are part of the Fail Fast & Scale Fast strategy. Simplify R&D (fail fast) and production scaling (scale fast).
Analytics obtained from data, processing, and pipelines can provide a wealth of information that can be used to improve resource planning, labor allocation, and strategy.
- Resource Utilization: Breaking down silos, archiving useless data, consolidating or eliminating redundant data and processes, overprovisioning, and misconfiguration.
- Labor Savings: Machine learning automation can save money on platform management to data governance. By automating or simplifying manual processes, we can reduce the number of skills necessary.
- Strategy: By comparing costs across data pipelines, data investments may be maximized for the most significant business benefits today and in the future. Organizations can accomplish it through data integration and analytics on usage and price.
Importance of Reliability and Efficiency in Data Analytics?
Let us consider one scenario where a Business derives product value from the customer feedback and data collected through several marketing channels from time to time. Now, if the Analytics done through Traditional Application Monitoring tools is not effective and reliable, then the product's actual value will not be able to derive.
The effectiveness of a tool can be measured by how accurately a system works in certain situations, such as failures. Also, the more effective a platform is, the more reliable the results will be. Data Analytics plays a vital role in building accurate models that can help develop new products, Align processes, motivate frequent changes in the organization, and so on. Hence, the Data Analytics platform should be more reliable and efficient for the same.
Data Analytics needs to be reliable and efficient because:
- Organizational restructuring and goal setting are dependent.
- Cost and Efficiency metrics are bounded.
- Application Monitoring and Infrastructure management are focused.
- Data Quality and Lineage need to be addressed.
- Business owners and Analysts made decisions and planned processes based on data.
Read more about Observability vs Monitoring
Data Observability Vs Data Analytics Platform and Data Observability Vs Data Quality
Data Observability Vs Data Analytics Platform
Let us consider an example:
A space company needs to launch a satellite to Mars, and they rely completely on what data they have about the research on Mars, its orbits, and the atmosphere. Now, if Data Analytics is only done based on the knowledge of known rules, then this can vanish the complete mission.
To make better decisions, Space companies need to set up a data Observability platform that can help identify the pipeline failures they previously had, making some rules on data, garbage data, Outage, and failure information.
This information can be very helpful when Analysts plan business rules and make decisions based on what ML models predict for them.
It will be good to call data observability the next push for Data Engineers. Data Observability triggers Data Analytics, which covers Infrastructure, Data, and Application.
- Data Observability helps AI teams to diagnose problems and remediate them into pipelines.
- Data Observability helps in the orchestration, automation, and monitoring of the data metrics.
- Data Observability helps the application developers to discover the changes and trace the root cause of the issues.
Data Observability Vs Data Quality
The usefulness of the data within an organization is a concern for both data quality and data observability. As a result, they both greatly contribute to an organization and complement one another.
However, the objectives of data quality and data observability are marginally different. Data accuracy and dependability are the goals of data quality. The goal of data observability is to make sure that the entire data delivery system is trustworthy and of high quality. Data observability is concerned with the system that delivers the data, whereas data quality is concerned with the data itself.
To that end, data observability goes beyond simply monitoring data and warning users when there are problems with its quality. Data observability attempts to pinpoint problems with data management and collection so they can be resolved at the root. When data observability is effective, higher-quality data are produced.
Take into account the following key distinctions between data quality and data observability:
While data observability examines data in motion (through data pipelines), data quality examines data at rest (in datasets).
While data observability focuses on addressing systemic issues, data quality focuses on addressing specific data errors.
While data observability uses machine learning to produce adaptive rules and metrics, data quality uses static rules and metrics.
Data quality addresses the effects of data problems, whereas data observability addresses the underlying causes of those problems.
Best Data Analytics rules for Data Analytics Platforms
Best data analytics rules can be formed that help the Data Analytics Platforms in the:
- Setting up accurate ML data models that help in planning business decisions.
- Tracing the issues in the running system because data will be centralized with quality and lineage.
- Targeting Domain-oriented goals.
- Addition of new data sources to the systems.
- Building specialized teams on Data.
- Increase of the Data pipeline complexity.
- Getting Useful information out of the data was previously considered “garbage data.”
Prevention of Application downtime.
It has been identified that businesses make decisions based on what data they have. Suppose the data itself provides some information through an automated process [Or data observability]. In that case, it helps the business owners and Analysts run better marketing campaigns, target the best audience, and make more accurate ML models that can predict specific metrics. That concludes that Data Observability improves the Efficiency and Reliability of Data Analytics.