Thanks for submitting the form.
What is Microservices Architecture?The microservices architecture style is an approach for developing small services each running in its process. It enables the continuous delivery/deployment of large, complex applications. It also allows an organization to evolve its technology stack.
- Highly maintainable
- Loosely coupled
- Better Independent deployability
- Improved fault isolation
An approach of developing an application by splitting it into smaller services, where each module runs in its own process and communicating with each other in a lightweight mechanism. Click to explore about, Microservices Testing Strategies and Processes for Enterprises
Why Microservices Architecture?Microservices came in a picture for building systems that were too big. The idea behind microservices is that there are some applications which can easily build and maintain when they are broken down into smaller applications which work together. Each component is continuously developed and separately managed, and the application is then merely the sum of its constituent elements. Whereas in traditional "monolithic" application which is all developed all in one piece.
Microservices Architecture Design PatternsDistributed architecture All the services communicate with the api gateway through REST or RPC. These services can be deployed as multiple instances, and the requests can be distributed to these instances. For Separately deployed componentsEach component is deployed separately. If one component needs changes, others don't have to deploy again. Service componentsServices components communicate with each other via service discovery Bounded by contextsIt encapsulates the details of a single domain, and define the integration with other domains. It is about implementing a business capability.
What are the benefits of Microservices Architecture Design?
The benefits of Microservices Architecture Design are mentioned below:
- Integration & Disintegration.
- Complected Deployments.
- Evolutionary Architecture.
- Components are deployed.
- Features are released.
- Applications consist of routing.
- Easier to understand the code -It is easy to distinguish one small service and flow of the whole service rather than one big code base.
- Fast Software delivery -Each service can be developed by different developers and in many different languages.
- Efficient debugging -Don't have to jump through multiple layers of an application and in essence better fault isolation.
- Reusable -Since it is an independent service it can be used in other projects also.
- Horizontal scaling.
- Workload partitioning.
- Don't have to scale the whole project. Only need to scale up that component which needs to scale up.
- Deployment -Need only to deploy that service which has been changed not the whole project again.
Cloud-Native Application is an approach for Adopting Cloud Computing features and Capabiblites for building and Deploying the Microservices applications.Source - Why adopt Cloud-Native Strategy?
What are the characteristics of Microservices Architecture Design?
- Small in size.
- Messaging enabled.
- Bounded by contexts.
- Autonomously developed.
- Independently deployable.
- Built and released with automated processes.
How Microservices Architecture Works?
Microservices are isolated from each other. Each agile team builds individual components. But how these services work together, To communicate between different microservices, it needs an inter process communication (IPC) mechanism. Let's understand each component of a microservice architecture.
- Clients - Different users requests from various devices.
- Identity Provider- Issues security tokens or Authenticate clients and users.
- API Gateway - Handles requests from various clients.
- Static Content - A server delivers the same file to each user. It houses the content of the system.
- Service Discover - This is used to find the route of the communication between microservices.
- Content Delivery Network - It is a geographically distributed group of servers. They work together to provide fast delivery of internet content.
- Remote Service - It is used to enable the remote access information.
The DevSecOps teams use the microservice architecture while development to ensure Continuous Integration/ Continuous Delivery with increased security measures. Click to explore about, DevSecOps with Microservices Solution
How to adopt Microservices Architecture?
So how to ensure when the organization adopted the microservices architecture or the organization is already adopted it. If a team implemented a service-oriented architecture (SOA), Team already following the modularity and message-based communication. On the other hand, if a team is following the DevOps practices so automated deployments are already there. Moreover, it's building the culture of Microservices Architecture within an organization. When it comes to business goals, it's not always essential to implement the microservice architecture.
The focus should be on unlocking the business values by spending more time on improving the architecture. For most of the time, it means building an application with more resilience and changeability than ever before. With only the set of patterns, process, or tools the microservices architecture can't be achieved. The team needs to focus on the goal itself --> A system that can make change easier. The speed and safety are one of the critical aspects where the organization needs to focus on and should find the perfect balance between them at scale.
What are the best practices of Microservices Architecture?Some essential requirements to do best practices to adopt Microservices -
- Independents Teams - Create an environment where teams can get more done without having to coordinate with other teams.
- Focus on Automation - Automate everything.
- Built for Resilience - Ensures failure doesn't impact too much.
- Simplify the Maintenance - Have proper guidelines and documentation for each service.
- Provide Flexibility - Give teams the freedom to do what's right for their services.
Tools for Managing Microservices Architecture
- API Gateway -Centralize API management, Azure API Management, and Amazon API Gateway can be used as API gateway.
- Cloud Infrastructure or Serverless-AWS, Azure, Google Cloud, and OpenStack.
- Containers, Clustering, and Infrastructure as Code -Docker, Kubernetes.
- Enterprise Service Bus -Red Hat JBoss Fuse, Microsoft BizTalk.
- Service Discovery -Etcd, Apache Zookeeper, Consul.