Introduction to RPA Center of Excellence
As technology is growing, every organization is moving towards automation. By using automation, completion of tasks becomes easy. Automating the various tasks makes it easy to utilize time to complete other tasks. It plays a significant role in the cut-throat competition in the market by improving performance.The entity which executes human actions without their interference is known as a robot. RPA is an effective way to get accuracy in the successful execution of a task. The RPA Center of Excellence is a way to embed automation and redistribute resources across future deployments. It reduces human efforts, but it doesn’t mean it is possible without human efforts. Every automation process needs to be managed. Automation helps to
- Reduce cost
- Save time
- Increase accuracy
- Reduce human efforts
The primary goal of the Robotics Process Automation process to replace repetitive and boring clerical tasks performed by humans, with a virtual workforce
Taken from Article , Robotic Process Automation
Many organizations are moving towards the automation of various operations. The process of automating various operations with the help of bots without human interference is known as robotic process automation (RPA). Hence, it is not wrong to say that RPA acts as a virtual employee. RPA automates various business processes of an organization. It interacts with the User Interface (UI) of existing applications and automates the structured processes.
The implementation of RPA includes some steps. Its implementation is also a process before which some information is required.
RPA vs Automation
Automation and RPA both are playing a crucial role in the growth of an organization. Both help to save time and human efforts. Both look similar, but there is some difference in Automation and RPA. The RPA and automation both have the following differences:
Traditional automation needs knowledge of programming and API for the integration of different systems at one platform. But RPA doesn’t need any coding knowledge or direct access to the application database.
The customization in traditional automation is not easy like RPA. RPA can be used to integrate various applications for a specific purpose.
By using traditional automation, we can reduce the time of execution of a task. Whereas, RPA reduces human efforts or the number of humans working on a particular task.
Traditional automation used to automate repetitive tasks in different environments, whereas RPA is used most of the time in the production environment. Now we can say that traditional automation and RPA both are different in terms of their objectives and implementation.
Process of RPA Implementation
Before the development of any software, it requires some information. Without gathering the requirement, further tasks cannot be planned. In the same way, the RPA development also includes a lifecycle. The implementation of robotics process automation includes a process. The steps involved in RPA implementation are:
- Information about the problem: The very first task of RPA implementation is gathering information about the problem. Before the development of RPA, thorough research of the problem or business process is necessary for which RPA is required.
- Documentation: After gathering the information about the problem, proper documentation is required to analyze the problem. Analysis of the problem is necessary to check whether the RPA development is possible or not for the described problem.
- Development: When the analysis of the problem is done, the development process takes place. According to the required automated workflows, the development process starts. The bot development process is done in a separate environment. The bot development process is wizard-driven which requires limited coding efforts.
- Testing: As every software requires testing after its development phase, in the same way, RPA also requires testing after its development phase. Testing can be done either by the development team or by the testing team. In most cases, the development team verifies the correctness of the script.
- Deployment: The testing of the RPA is successfully done, after that it is successfully deployed in the real environment.
- Maintenance: After the successful deployment maintenance of the bot takes place. Whenever any new change takes place in a process, the bot or script of the bot is updated. In the same way, if any problem occurs in the bot, then it is redeployed after fixing the issues. By following the above-mentioned steps, robotics process automation is implemented. The RPA implementation includes the use of some tools. Some popular tools used in RPA implementation are:
- Blue Prism
- Automation Everywhere
Some of these are free, and some are paid. The UiPath and Blue Prism, both are easy to use, whereas automation Everywhere needs programming skills. The automation Everywhere is developer-friendly but UiPath and Blue Prism, both are user-friendly.
Functionalities of RPA Center of Excellence
- RPA centre of excellence provides a structural framework that manages the growth of RPA within an enterprise. It also drives functionalities of an RPA initiative. The functionalities of the Center of Excellence are:
- Governance: This functionality of CoE establishes the standards, policies, and procedures. The establishment of these standards requires qualification, development, and deployment of a bot.
- Organization: It describes the organizational structure of CoE to take care of all internal and external responsibilities. It supports all the aspects of the RPA initiative and is responsible for seamless change management.
- Technology: This part includes the selection of tools. It organizes the maintenance and support of the selected tools.
- Processes: It includes the execution and monitoring of the RPA lifecycle. It is responsible for the evaluation of automation opportunities to deploy bots into the production environment.
- Operations: This element analyzes how RPA affects social roles when it changes job descriptions to overall operational management. By using these functionalities, RPA CoE manages the growth of RPA within an enterprise. Apart from this, the implementation of RPA CoE must be decided. It means its implementation can be decentralized, centralized or hybrid. The capabilities of decentralized CoE are spread across the organization, and its functionalities run from separate business units. But centralized CoE includes all the capabilities to run an RPA distribution. In the case of hybrid implementation, business units assess and prioritize their automated processes on their own, and the CoE includes centralized operations.
How to build the RPA Center of Excellence?
Organizations can build an internal scalable, self-sustaining and RPA models to embed RPA deeply and effectively into the organizations. Here is how to get started.
- Build a team for RPA
The heart of RPA CoE is the RPA operations Team. The team has defined roles and responsibilities. This team is responsible for implementing Organization-wide RPA.
- RPA Project Manager
- RPA Sponsor
- RPA Analyst
- RPA Architect
- RPA Developer
- RPA Infra
- RPA Support
- Build a Technical and Functional Environment
Once the team is established, the technical and functional environment needs to be set up. From the tools that are required for implementation to the kind of configuration, performance and connectivity requirements.
- Create an Effective Governance Model
The Governance Model for RPA CoE lays out consistent criteria, protocols, and regulations for robotic process automation together with regulatory structures, escalation pathways and role segregation. The Governance Model also guarantees that legislation, the specifications for cyber management and regulatory guidelines are fulfilled. It would also define the prioritization, the level of access granted to the RPA operation team and others.
- RPA CoE Launch
Launch of RPA CoE with all the process and the teams are focussing on making RPA part of the organization and all the strategic requirements are met. But it just doesn’t stop here, constant feedback to scale up the RPA efforts and drive greater business outcomes.
Summing up – RPA Center of Excellence
In the final analyses, we can say RPA CoE is changing the working way of organizations. Thus, it is right to say that it reduces the number of humans required for a task, but it is also true that its implementation is not possible without human efforts. It can be implemented in big as well as in small enterprises. It is playing a significant role in some industries like healthcare, telecom, travel & logistics as well as in retail enterprises. Hence we can say, due to accuracy and effectiveness, RPA CoE is helping organizations to grow fast. As it reduces the gap among systems, that’s why it requires monitoring when any change occurs in the continuous process.