Introduction to Google Cloud Platform Serverless Computing
Google Cloud Serverless computing makes scalability of the server to infinity, i.e., there will be no load management, it has to run code or function on request or event, if there will be parallel requests, there will be function running for each particular application. We have covered in great length the serverless computing. The most famous vendors are Azure Serverless, AWS Lamba, Azure Serverless and GCP Serverless (Google Cloud Platform) Serverless. We are focussing on Google Cloud Platform Serverless in this Blog.
What does GCP Serverless Computing Provide?
- No need for Managing server
- Fully Managed Security
- Pay only for what you use
- Flexible environment for developer
- Easy to understand interface
- Various types of options regarding Full-Stack Serverless
- GCP provides with everything one needs to build an end to end serverless application
- It helps you entirely focus your attention to the code only rest everything is taken care of by GCP
- Deployment is quite fast, and you can go global as soon as you complete every formality regarding the system.
1. Full Stack Serverless Apps
GCP Serverless Computing is very flexible with any code or container deployment over it. User can deploy his code as source code or as containers. Full-stack serverless applications with Google Cloud’s storage, databases, machine learning, and many more methods could be used to build.
2. Write code your on the way using GCP
GCP Serverless Computing, lets the user use any language that he’s comfortable in and provides all kind of help with frameworks and libraries too. User can deploy as function, source code or container, etc., in whatever way he’s comfortable.
3. Easy Serverless computation
After the user does his work. Google Cloud takes care of everything after that, and it works on handling all the tasks regarding configuration, provisioning, load balancing, sharding etc. in a way that suits the user’s program the best. This way of working allows the user to have some more time with his product that he can use innovating it or any other task to enhance the performance of the product.
4. Run The Workloads Anywhere using GCP
When using GCP Serverless Computing, one can move to any platform, bother free as it helps to maintain consistent developer experience. This all is done with the help of Knative, and it enables you to run your workloads anywhere: fully managed on Google Cloud or Kubernetes Engine, or in user’s Cluster.
Google Cloud allows the user to choose the right Serverless to compute product for them. The options offer great flexibility to developers to write their code.
Microsoft Azure also can accommodate Modern apps of any kind by stitching together many functionalities from various source.
Source- Azure Serverless Computing
Google Cloud Platform Serverless for DevOps
Given below are the benefits of GCP Serverless computing for DevOps:
- Cloud build lets the user create CI and CD pipelines for your serverless applications very quickly.
- Stackdriver helps aggregate metrics, logs and events for user’s serverless application running on Google Cloud.
- Cloud Identity & Access Management (Cloud IAM) lets admin control all the functions of his application with a single interface.
- Cloud Scheduler help automate big data jobs, cloud infrastructure operations and many more in a fully serverless fashion.
Serverless is a perfect way to enhance productivity, lower cost, easy maintenance, and saving lots of time too.
AWS Lambda vs Google Cloud Platform Serverless Architecture
There are various differences between AWS Lambda vs GCP serverless some of them are listed below:
1. Supported Language
There are many languages supported in AWS Lambda as compared to google cloud serverless.
2. Ease of deployment
The smoother the deployment, faster the codes can get deployed, faster the product can be delivered. With google cloud, it is easy to implement the function, as it involves only one step. But although GCP has fewer steps than AWS Lambda. Lambda can use and update the service faster than Google Cloud function does.
3. Network Performance & Stability
Aws Lambda is slightly faster and more stable than the GCP.
4. CPU Throughput
Performance is the main reason serverless is chosen, as no one needs slow computing performance.
CPU Throughput is the number of executions per time unit without network constraints. AWS Lambda is faster than Google Cloud Function based on CPU Throughput.
5. Memory Management
Google Cloud Function’s memory management is better than that of AWS Lambda.
AWS is slightly cheaper than GCF as Invocation per month and Compute time per month is more for GCF.
7. Logging, Monitoring, and Debugging
Performance can be monitored and troubleshot of user functions using Goggle StackDriver suite of tools.
- Logging – Logs emitted from user’s cloud functions are automatically written to Stackdriver Logging.
- Monitoring – Performance of user is recorded in Stackdriver monitoring
- Debugging – User’s code’s behaviour can be investigated using stack driver debugger.
- Errors from users functions too are reported on stack driver.
8. Developer Experience
- Building and Testing – Cloud SDK, Cloud console web interface, and many more can be used to create, manage and deploy Cloud Functions. Standard Node.js, Python and Go can be used.
- Deploying – Deployment can be done from a local machine or from any source repository like GitHub or bitbucket.
- Automatic Dependency Resolution – User can send the entire source code without worrying a bit about the dependency issues or anything related to it.
Read more about Complete Guide to AWS Serverless Computing
Features And Benefits of Google Cloud Platform Serverless Computing
There are various features of GCP Serverless Computing few of them are listed below:
- No Server Management – It helps build applications faster, and the user has to deploy his/her code and Google will take care of the rest.
- Pay Only While your Code Runs – User has to only pay for the minutes he has used the services for his application.
- Scales Automatically – Google Cloud Serverless function scales automatically according to the workload.
- Runs code in response to events – It allows the user to trigger system from Firebase, GCP, Google Assistant or call it directly from the mobile, web, backend application via HTTP.
- Connects and Extends Services – GCP even allows 3rd party cloud services to connect and help move the code rapidly from concept to production.
- GCP serverless Supports –
- Cloud Pub/Sub
- Cloud Storage
- Stackdriver Logging