Introduction to DevSecOps
Before exploring DevSecOps or DevSecOps Tools, you need to know little about DevOps from where this term originated.
Brief About DevOps
If you don’t know about DevOps, then here is a short description of this emerging technology that has become an essential part of the software development process. DevOps Security Operations entirely focuses on securing applications and integrating the security in the DevOps process. It helps to audit the existing IT Infrastructures, automate the security tools running in pipelines, and enabling better collaboration and communication between development, operations, and security teams.
DevOps is a set of practices, which automate the build, test, and delivery processes making the processes faster and more reliable. It automates the processes between development and IT teams.
What is DevSecOps
DevSecOps is an approach to provide security to applications and infrastructure based on the methodology of DevOps, which makes sure the application is less vulnerable and ready for users’ uses. All things automated, and security checks started from the beginning of the application’s pipelines.
Selecting the right tools for Continuous Integration security achieves security goals, but the selection of tools is not enough, also need security teams along with the right tools to meet the required security. This blog is going to discuss the DevSecOps in detail.
Importance of DevSecOps
In recent years, we have seen that cyber-attacks have increased many folds, and even the most prepared organizations can’t deny the risk of undergoing a cyber-attack. It came into notice in the past few days that zero-day attacks compromised more than 65% of the total attacks, and the threats to cloud-based applications have significantly increased, which were previously negligible as more organizations are shifting towards cloud environments.
Incorporating security is essential to the DevOps process as security can no longer be neglected or underestimated. Further, this increased level of threat has given rise to DevSecOps.
The top five priorities are establishing metrics, creating business-aligned strategies, ensuring cloud workload security, moving from DevOps to DevSecOps, and managing third-party risk.
Benefits of DevOps Security
DevSecOps and DevSecOps Tools aim at integrating security principles and standards in the DevOps cycle, i.e., implementing security controls at each level of the DevOps cycle, especially in the early stages of the software development lifecycle. It also helps create a ' Security as Code' approach by ensuring flexible collaboration between security teams and release engineers.
- Minimize vulnerabilities in applications.
- Helps to implement compliance into the delivery pipeline from day one.
- Maintain and ensure compliance.
- Provides the ability to respond to changes rapidly.
- Identify vulnerabilities in the early stages of the software development lifecycle.
- Offers more speed and agility to security teams.
- Helps to build a trustful relationship with organizations.
- Increase observability.
- Increase traceability.
Some of the other benefits of adopting DevSecOps are
- Reduction of expenses and Delivery rate increases.
- Security, Monitoring, Deployment check, and notifying systems from the beginning.
- It supports openness and Transparency right from the start of development.
- Secure by Design and the ability to measure.
- Faster Speed of recovery in the case of a security incident.
- Improving Overall Security by enabling Immutable infrastructure which further involves security automation.
|Discover more about DevSecOps Rules and Best Practices|
How DevSecOps Works?
The fundamental goal of DevSecOps is to secure the application by making security and operations team members practicing and co-operating with development from the very beginning of a project. Below is the overview of its work:
Analysis of infrastructure and environments to get the idea of challenges involves –
- Applications and APIs.
- Libraries and Frameworks.
- Container and Cloud.
- Secure: After analyzing, secure it, and choose the right path according to culture.
- Automate Security Testing and verify it.
- Detect Attacks and prevent Exploits, i.e. defend the system.
How to Adopt DevSecOps?
Nowadays the greatest obstacle to DevSecOps is culture, not technology. Traditionally, security teams and dev teams work separately. To successfully move to a DevSecOps methodology, follow the DevOps methodology in both Sec. and Dev. Teams must make application security an integrated strategy and continue to encourage security awareness.
Effective ways to adopt it:
- Automate the process as much as possible.
- Follow the DevOps methodology.
- Train to code securely.
- Evaluation of current security measures and concluding what to do to overcome problems.
- Integrate the security to DevSecOps.
- By adopting the right DevSecOps tools.
- Monitoring Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery.
- Analyze code and do a vulnerability assessment.
- Mandatory security at every stage.
Define a model that the organizations can adapt to implement DevSecOps. For example which one of the below models is better for organizations –
- Static Analysis Security Testing (SAST).
- Dynamic Analysis Security Testing (DAST).
- Software Composition Analysis (SCA).
- Container security.
How to know whether the adoption of DevSecOps is successful or not?
Successful Adoption of DevSecOps depends upon –
- Detection of threats, security defects, and flaws.
- Deployment frequency.
- Meantime to their repair and recovery.
- Lead time.
- Test coverage.
Get an insight about ” Kubernetes Operators” Overview
Why DevSecOps Matters?
Due to the joint venture of the development and operation team DevSecOps is important and other reasons are listed below.
- Focus on the application’s security from the beginning.
- It finds vulnerabilities and encourages practitioners to build security processes.
- It seeks to provide better results at greater speed same as DevOps.
- Reducing vulnerabilities, and increases code coverage and automation.
Best uses of DevSecOps
- Integrate security throughout the DevOps process.
- To train on secure coding.
- Automate the whole pipeline from Continuous Integration to Continuous Deployment.
- Choose the appropriate tools for the security check.
- To move to Git as a single source of truth.
- To know code dependencies.
- Use an analytics-driven SIEM platform.
Top DevSecOps Integration Tools
Some DevSecOps tools to integrate throughout DevOps Pipeline
- Contrast Security
- Continuum Security
- Kibana and Grafana
Understanding Holistic Approach
DevSecOps, as discussed above is an approach to implement protection to application and infrastructure based on the methodology of DevOps, that makes sure the application is less exposed and ready for users uses. All things automated, and security checks started from the beginning of the application’s pipelines. To understand more about DevSecOps, you are advised to look into the below steps:
- Learn more about “Automation and Continuous Security