What is DevOps On AWS?
DevOps is a set of practices to automate the process between software development and the Operation Team, including tasks such as build, test, release software faster and more reliably. The central concept of DevOps is that it is not technology. There are tools commonly used in the DevOps environment. These include Continuous Integration(CI) & Continuous Deployment(CD) to perform task automation.
AWS is a platform which is provided by Amazon. On this platform, DevOps performs practices like Build Code, Deploy Code, CI/CD and also lots of inbuilt services offered by AWS for the DevOps.
How DevOps on AWS Works?
There are many tools available on AWS which can help with DevOps in following –
AWS Cloudwatch used for Critical Monitoring. AWS supports DevOps efforts by providing services to build, store and deploy apps.
DevOps features accessible in AWS –
- Continuous Integration.
- Continuous Delivery with Chef.
Most of the organization should employ the DevOps model and technology to demonstrate, integrate with the existing development, testing, deployment, and operations processes. IT Team adopts DevOps strategies to develop applications deployed on Public Cloud.
Why Cloud Matters for DevOps?
- Get Started Fast – In AWS account, there are IoT Services on AWS ready to use without set up or software to install.
- Fully Managed Services – The services take advantages of AWS resources without worrying about settings of installing software or operating infrastructure on our own.
- Built for Scale – It manages a single instance, also scales up to thousands using AWS services. These services make more flexible compute resources through simple provisioning, configure and scale.
- Programmable – It provides an option to use each service via the AWS CLI or through API's. Also, model and provision AWS resources and all AWS infrastructure using declarative AWS Cloud formation.
- Automation – AWS helps us to use automation to build fast and more efficiently. Using AWS services, automate task or process such as deployment, development & test workflow manually and configure.
- Secure – Use AWS IAM to set user permission and policies. It is used for user access on particular services of AWS resources and how user access those services.
How to Adopt DevOps on AWS?
Software Release Workflow – AWS code pipeline is a Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery service for fast and reliable application and infrastructure updates. Core pipeline builds, tests and deploys code every time there are changes in code and based on the release process models defined.T his enables rapid and reliable delivery of the features and updates.
Build & Test Code – It is used to build and test code. AWS code build is a fully managed build services that compile the sources codes required; then it runs, tests and produces software packages ready to deploy. With the help of the Codebuild, don't need to provision, manage and scale build servers. It scales continuously and processes multiple builds concurrently to ensure that builds are not left for waiting in a queue.
Deployment Automation – It is AWS code to automate code deployments on any of the instance, including Amazon EC2 instances and On-Premises servers. It makes easier to rapidly release new features, avoids downtime during application deployment and handles the complexity of the application.
Unified CI/CD Projects – It is AWS Codestar used for CI/CD projects. AWS Codestar helps to quickly develop, build and deploy the application on the dashboard of AWS. AWS Codestar provides a specified user interface, enables to manage software development activities in one place efficiently. AWS Codestar sets up entire Continuous Delivery toolchain in minutes for faster code release.
Build & deploy Microservices Architecture using Containers and Serverless Computing – Amazon Elastic container service is a highly scalable, high-performance container management service that supports Docker containers and allows to run application efficiently on a managed account of Amazon Elastic Container services instances.
Provision, configure and manage AWS Infrastructure – It is an AWS Cloud formation to create and manage a collection of the all related AWS resources, and do provisioning, and it also does update them in an orderly and predictable fashion. Use AWS Cloud formation sample templates or create templates.
- Monitor and enforce infrastructure compliance.
- Configuration Management.
- Policy as Code.
- Run and Manage Web Apps.
- Private Git Hosting.
- DevOps use Services of AWS as per the requirement of Project.
- Code Build and Code Deploy.
Benefits of DevOps on AWS
- Rapid Delivery
- Improved Collaboration
Best Practises of DevOps on AWS
- Continuous Delivery – It means that CD is a software development where code changes automatically, build, tested and prepared to release.
- Microservices – It is designed to approach to build a single app as a set of small services. Every service runs in its process and communication with all other services.
- Infrastructure as a Code – It is a practice in which Infrastructure is provisioned and managed using code and software development such as Version Control and Continuous Integration.
- Monitoring & Logging – It is used for monitoring the running application on the cluster of Kubernetes or on AWS platform having Cloud Watch.
- Communication and Collaboration – It is one of the key cultural aspects of DevOps.