What is Multi Cloud Management?
Multi-cloud is when an organization uses more than one cloud platform service for its different application needs. A multi-cloud is usually comprised of a private, public cloud to fulfill the organization’s end goals, which vary organization to organization. Multi-cloud Management usually uses several different available architectures, such as Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS), platform as a service (PaaS) and Software-as-a-Service (SaaS), to attain a complete business goal. Different cloud providers are used according to requirements of specific workload/applications. Multi-cloud is a strategy applied by CXOs, Technology Architects.
Why Cloud Management Matters?
Following are the reasons why Multi-Cloud matters –
Going Multi-Cloud removes the monopoly of one particular cloud and vendor-lock-in.
Different applications have different workload needs. For an individual application, a suitable cloud provider can be used.
The multi-cloud management strategy also offers various security precautions that a single cloud provider’s deployment cannot provide.
A well managed multi-cloud environment also allows various groups to get compliance with different IT policies while also reaping the benefits of a particular cloud provider.
How does Multi Cloud Management Works?
Let’s see How Cloud Management works. Cloud Native Functions are architected in such a way to run in the elastic and distributed nature of modern cloud computing platforms such as AWS, private cloud like OpenStack.
Multi-cloud strategies include the use of both hybrid environment, but they mainly rely on more than one public cloud provider such as AWS, GCP, Azure. The approach eliminates the need for complete cloud migration since some sensitive data remains on the that enterprise’s on-premise servers. Enterprises usually choose to store some user data on-premises, using one cloud provider for its IaaS needs and another for PaaS or SaaS needs. Different cloud service providers are used for various unique business functions.
Benefits Of Adopting Cloud Management Strategy
Multi Cloud is always available –
All of the cloud providers such as AWS, GCP, Azure can be used to spin up infra instantly and tear down when we don’t need.
If one of cloud goes offline, then we can use services of other clouds and keep our services up.
Multi Clouds can be easily customized, and they are flexible enough, which allows us to select the best of any cloud type to suit our particular business needs.
When enterprise goes for multi-cloud adoption, they can easily escape vendor lock-in of 1 provider as all their data is being stored on different service providers’ clouds and in various locations.
Best Practices for Multi Cloud Management
Following are the Best Practices which should be developed while adopting Multi Cloud –
- Security should be the first and foremost concern while taking Multi-Cloud.
- Both continuous and adaptive security should be adopted.
- Utilize Private cloud, Public cloud as well as Hybrid cloud.
- It helps in connecting applications on-premise to the applications running in the cloud.
- Multiple clouds when connected also enable pipeline automation from development to production.
- Leverage redundancy and protection features and services of modern cloud providers who can help enterprise’s all services and data storage against all security threats and prevent any outages from happening.
- Keep a backup of critical applications on multiple clouds, so that if any cloud goes offline/down, then other cloud providers remain online to provides uptime for applications and all it’s application users.
Multi Cloud Management Tools
How useful was this post?